Sunday, April 28, 2013

Life Imitates Art..I Wish

It's 3 o'clock Monday morning and I just finished watching, what I decided to be my all time favorite book and movie, The Perks of Being a Wallflower. Nainspire tuloy akong magsulat because watching it transported me back in time, back in the days when I was in high school. Nakarelate lang ako ng bongga sa mga experiences ni Charlie and some of the characters in the movie. I mentioned that it transported me because as I go back to these moments, naalala ko how I exactly felt when I experienced them and naalala ko din ung mga worries ko as a teenager. Nakakatawa. I must say na not much improvement in terms of being pathetic ha! Sigh. I wish I could really go back and experience things again for the first time. You know, heartaches, crushes, kilig moments and stupid things that only kids would do.

One thing I loved about the story is that how Charlie is well aware that he is damaged as a person and that he is trying to cope with it artistically. Something that I would have done had I known that I wasn't perfect as a teenager. What can I do? I was living in a bubble, I thought I was ALL that. 

I must say that I, like Charlie, had a similar group of friends. Young, happy, full of energy, daring and  sometimes dangerous kind of people. We sure had our moments. So whenever I look back (which I do most of the time) I remember the town where I grew up. I remember everything. These friends that I'm referring to and  things that we did for fun. Life was simple back then. Everything was just so precious. I love my childhood! I always say that I had the best experience as a kid growing up in the province. Sigh, again. Naalala ko naman while writing. :)

So I guess you know what happened after some time...LIFE. We graduated from high school, went into different colleges (but most of us went to the same school). Graduated again, had a job and matured individually. We maybe connected through Facebook but we don't message each other that much or we don't message each other at all. We don't say HI but we're connected, nothing more. I'm sure we still consider each others as friends but you know sometimes it is hard to incorporate people from your past to your present life. For now, I'm so okay with that. Once kasi masanay ka na mawala ung isang tao sa buhay mo, mahirap na ibalik sa sistema mo ulit. They would have to be just a thing of the past. Sad but true. So you know when people are saying their goodbyes to one another and promising each other that they will keep in touch so they could stay together as friends? Not true! I would have to say that it's a polite way of saying, "Goodbye and have a nice life!" to each other.

In The Perks of Being a Wallflower, they managed to stay connected and be friends even after the older characters graduated from high school. Something that is achievable but like what I have already said, 'didn't work for me and my friends. That's one thing I think that made me love the story even more. It brings me to that "What If's" state of mind and it makes wonder what could have been if only we kept the bond strong all these years. It makes me wanna go back over and over again to that particular point in my life when, like what Charlie felt, We are INFINITE.

No comments:

Post a Comment